All of us at the FAS Windows & Doors hope that you and your family had a wonderful holiday season. Now that the holidays have passed and the dust has settled it is the perfect time to do an annual checkup of your windows & doors to make sure they are in tip top shape. Regular maintenance will help keep your windows & doors operating smoothly. We have created the following checklist to help assist you in your annual maintenance.
- Wipe down wooden windows with a damp cloth to help remove dust and dirt. For vinyl and aluminum frame windows use a mild detergent/soap and soft cloth.
- Open and close each window to make sure all the opening mechanisms are working smoothly.
- Check the caulking around each window frame looking for gaps or loose caulking.
- Inspect the interior and exterior finish of the window, looking for signs of moisture, rot, peeled paint and warped frames.
- Examine any sealing products like Weather-stripping that are used around the windows that reduce gaps.
- Remove any debris from the sills and tracks that may have accumulated in the windows.
- Check that all hardware to ensure locks and hinges are working smoothly.
- Tighten any exposed hardware screws that may have come loose with normal wear.
- Clean window portion of door with an appropriate glass cleaner.
- Clean hardware portion of door with an appropriate metal cleaner designed for your type of hardware.
- Vacuum tracks of doors with sliding mechanisms
- Look for signs of environmental wear, including moisture and sun damage.
In addition to our quick checklist, Andersen Windows has some great checklists on their website as well. Should you have any questions or concerns about your windows or doors please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to help you with any of your window or doors needs!
R. Wilding 12/26/2013
Comments are closed.